Monday, March 21, 2016

Chevy Volt Lithium Battery Project

So far I am very pleased with the Chevy Volt Lithium Project.  The batteries have been in the 2015 Montana 3611RL for a little over two weeks in the storage lot.  This is off grid location, and only changing is completed via Solar Panels.  We had cold cloudy day yesterday, so solar output was only 70.8 AH for the entire day.  Since I have AC Inverter on 7/24, and the Satellite receiver on all the time, the daily load is around 184 to 190 AH per day.  So we started today (full Sun day), already 120 AH in the hole from previous day plus the AH used over night.

Today's output was 241 AH, and Solar Controller was in Absorption for 276 minutes, but that just means the Lithium Batteries fully charge and didn't need any more power for 4.6 hours of the daylight hours today.   Once the batteries reach 12.06 vols, the batteries are disconnect from the RV and the power is provided by Bootscaps and Solar Panels while the Sun is shinning.

Now lets get to the fun stuff (pictures), btw the previous blog post had more information on my project.
Battery Box Top View 21" W x 24" L x 15" H

Battery Box Bottom View


Old Battery Installation - Six 6V Trojan 105


Old Batteries Removed


Chevy Volt Batteries have liquid cooling

When it get to hot I can open the compartment door

Another look at plumbing
I had a minor set back here.  The electric water pump is DOA, so now I need to drain the system and put another pump in there.  I have a few months before temperatures get above 90 degrees.  The heater is working fine, and we are going to be near freezing tonight.


All those wires on top are the Battery Management System (BMS) that I created.  See previous post for more info
 
Battery Box with lid on.  No venting required, no maintenance either.
Because to the Chevy Volt batteries are Lithium Ion, the cell voltages are different from most common Lithium batteries used in RV's today (LifePO4), there are three cells to make 12V, where LifePO4 use four cells.  It is very important that the Lithium batteries not be over charged or discard.

My target voltage per cell is 4.02 volts per cell.  So when my battery pack is 12.06 Volts, it is fully charge.  The 4.02 volts per cell is really the 80% level.  Charging to 90% is around 4.1 volts per cell, and 100% is around 4.2 volts per cell. 

The batteries will last a lot longer, at 80%.  The batteries are expected to last 15-20 years when charged to 80%.  If you charge to 90% 4.1 volts per cell, the life drops to 7-8 years, and at 100% 4.2 volts per cell, life drops to 4-5 years.




Had Residential Fridge and Satellite Receiver running for 24 hours.

Used 184 Amp Hours over night.
Battery Voltage Dropped from 12.06 Volts to 11.48 Volts


After running Fridge for 36 hours I turned it off.  Panels are facing East and West, not getting 100% of rated power, but was still able to harvest 340.9 Amp Hours on one day when the Fridge was running.

More picture can be found at Lithium Battery Project



10 comments:

  1. Hi John,
    Looks awesome. Is the battery box made out wood? If so, did you think about any other materials, maybe something fireproof? I am looking replacing the two AGM 8D's in parallel in my boat and so far I am thinking of Trojan T1275 x 3 in parallel. I will have a hybrid wind/solar system generating 400 to 600AH (theoretical) using MPPT and wind generator controller. The measurements I read on the ebay site are fairly small and for some reason your pictures make the battery pack look large. Is this measurement right per battery?
    Length 9"
    Width 9.5"
    Height 10.5
    As you can imagine space is at a premium. The weight reduction is impressive. What may break my bank though is the initial cost since I am doing the whole power system at the same time. I am working on a spreadsheet for the math right now, using your life expectancy on the Volt batteries and will bounce it off the 'Admiral' when I cost it out over 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,

      Yes the box is made from wood. That is just to keep the heat in the Winter time. Battery box is 21"W x 24"L x 15"H. I have four 12V (200AH) packs. Two packs are connected together to reduce plumb complexity. Also two packs is all I can lift.

      Delete

  2. Hi John, I looked at your pics. Great build. Must feel good.
    I have a few questions. With the tristar mppt you can set a custom charge profile. So you could set a charge voltage of 12. I wondered about that.
    Also. Your bms. Are you active/passive balancing or just monitoring?
    How is it working out?
    The reason I ask is I have a cvolt battery acquired from a wrecker. With plans to replace my fla 12v battery pack. All thoughts appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Creeky,

      I didn't have any luck with the custom charge profile, the MorningStar would error every couple days, and I had to manually reset it. MorningStar controllers do not support Lithium battery, and can be damaged if the battery disconnects while under charging load from the controller.

      Also your RV Converter doesn't support Lithium batteries either. That is why I have the Boostcaps, to trick everything into thinking they are charge acid battery.

      I use the Arduino to control the battery connect relay, and environmental controls. The Bootscap act like a small battery that is always connected to keep the MorningStar TriStar-MPPT-60 happy.

      I use hobby battery balancer (four of them, one for each battery).

      http://smile.amazon.com/Andoer-Battery-Voltage-Balancer-Discharger/dp/B00LFJ5BMW?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

      to handle the cell balancing.


      Delete
  3. Ouch. I was counting on using a charge voltage of 49v with the bms at 50 as a fail safe. Hmmm. Time to talk to morningstar I guess.
    I'm off grid cabin, so all 120v. Don't know if i'll add a charger. If I do it'll be a manual process.
    Great idea to use the rc balancers.
    How have the cells been for balance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I currently use Gel Battery switch settings and 12 Volts. TriStar-MPPT-60 will support 48 Volts, but my RV is 12 Volts. I have the balancers running balance mode all the time, since the RV sites in storage, and I can't always check on it. I have the balancer set to only balance when cell voltage is above 3.9 Volts.

      For 48 Volts system, you would need 20 Boostcaps (around $600), so you might want to look at a Solar Control that supports Lithium Batteries.

      Delete
  4. I talked to morningstar. They are saying the controllers will work with these batteries. I downloaded the latest msview. So fingers crossed. I see a better "custom" setting. But it seems to be for 48v. Will report back when i get in a bit deeper.
    Morningstar also has a user who figured out how to use the rts as a switch to lower charge voltage in the event of a high voltage alarm. Rather than try to cut power from the panels. Seems like a neat hack.
    Nice that the volt batteries are prewired for cell voltage and temp. There must be a passive balancer in there too. Don't know how to turn it on tho.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you planning on posting any more info on your arduino solution?
    I can confirm a 48v custom charge profile with morningstar 60 controller has been working for 18 days. Had to turn off the battery service notification. Other than that charging is going great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I updated the firmware on the MorningStar TriStar-60-MPPT controller, and have it set for Custom Profile. I currently have it set for 12.02 Volts, and so far the controller has not error'ed out like it use to on Custom Profile. Right now I have the Arduino only controlling the battery connect / disconnect relay to the battery.

      Delete
  6. Glad its working for you. To avoid power disconnect/controller damage on over voltage you can use the remote temp sensor to lower absorb voltage, says morningstar. Best to see their explanation. ;)

    My inverter turns off at 3.2v. All set.

    Thinking to go 12s6p and use 1 bms board. (6 48v batteries) Lot of wires. Using the original plugs to a breakout of some sort. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete